Our friend Piri of Intact Marketing (and designer of our website) came to visit us for her daughter’s second birthday.
Mom Piri had the theme chosen and ideas set – a ladybug theme for her little lady. 🙂
She brought us a photo of a cake design she liked, and we created a similar style for her.
We also decorated our homemade cookies to complement the cake, theme and colour scheme.
The large ladybug on top was a strawberry buttercream layer cake, as was the base cake. The two cake tiers allowed the guests to enjoy the cake at the base, and Grace to enjoy the large ladybug all on her own (or maybe to share a little with mom and dad?).
Happy 2nd Birthday Grace! We hope you enjoyed your ladybug cake!
How we did it:
– First we built the ladybug shape and the cake base separately. Both were strawberry buttercream – a pink interior to match the outer colour scheme, and a delicious flavour choice!
– The ladybug shape was built within a ball mould pan to achieve the round look. We let it set in the fridge to take shape.
– We used fondant to decorate all details of both the ladybug and the base tier.
– We tiered the bottom base with dowels to support the large ladybug on top. We included a cake board under the large ladybug, that way it could easily be removed from the base and both cakes could be cut and enjoyed.
– We used 18 gauge wires for the big ladybug’s antennae. We used black licorice for the antennae of the baby ladybugs on the base tier.
– We used edible black colour for small and fine details, like the spots on the baby ladybugs on the base tier.
– The flowers were cut with gumpaste cutters and circle cutters, and the baby ladybugs were hand modelled out fondant. All fondant pieces were attached with a small amount of water.